Work From Home

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Life

A friend who's working abroad called me while I was having my lunch break. With the tone of her voice, I sensed the seriousness of whatever she's going to tell me. She told me what's wrong but I didn't understand it because she started crying. So, she had to tell me again that...her brother died on 01/17. (Her brother was also working abroad.)

I uttered an exclamation of shock. Then, silence. I didn't know what to say.

She started crying hard again. I felt her grief so I cried with her. I didn't know what to say.

But, I had to say something. "I'm sorry," was all that I managed to say.

In that moment, I felt altered. Suddenly, I got into a perspective that viewed life to be "precious." I never thought my life was precious. Hearing her wail made me think otherwise. Life is precious and we should do anything in our power to protect it. To preserve it.




But, we can only do so much.

No comments: